You know those people. They go around quoting “Seinfeld” like the show just came out last week — and you’re supposed to understand (and laugh at) every little inside phrase from sponge worthy to close talker to no soup for you!
I get it. I respect “Seinfeld,” but I’m here to confess I never was an avid watcher. My first front-page story, however, was covering the series finale for my college newspaper The Post in Athens, Ohio. I hopped from dorm room to coffee shop reporting on people’s devastation that the nine-year show was coming to an end. That was 1998.
And this is 2020. Which is actually a quote from one of my journalism heroes, Barbara Walters, but that’s another story.
While you all with taste were engrossed in “Seinfeld,” I was more enamored with “Melrose Place,” “Friends” and “Blossom.”
But back to the show about nothing and its tremendous support group of die-hards. I stopped by Angel’s Envy Distillery Tuesday afternoon for several reasons — one of which I cannot talk about until next week*. The one I can mention is the distillery bar’s new menu for winter, which is COMPLETELY “SEINFELD”-THEMED!
I’ll list the names of the drinks below, which I’m sure all you nerdy fanatics will understand 100%. I was more interested in the ingredients, but that’s just me. The one we got to sample was called The Beach, which I don’t get the reference to, but it was delicious! It was made with Angel’s Envy Rye, Averna, coconut, black walnut and salt.
The talented Angel’s Envy Bar Manager Mike Bohn whipped it up for us and explained the concept behind the menu and the cocktail. And the idea is pretty simple: Everyone loves “Seinfeld,” including us. So let’s make a cocktail menu based on popular words or phrases from the show.
As a cocktail consumer, the options are both creative and appealing. So why not mix craft drinks and comedy — with a twist of skill and a wink to pop culture?
*Stay tuned for a very special episode of The Bar Belle next week, where I’ll tell you why I was really at Angel’s Envy.
For your viewing pleasure, here’s the list of drinks on the Angel’s Envy winter menu:
- The Summer of George — Angel’s Envy Bourbon, grapefruit, lime, maple, allspice
- Serenity Now — Angel’s Envy, yellow chartreuse, St. Germain, cacao, chipotle
- I Don’t Want to be a Pirate! — Angel’s Envy, aged rum, Velvet Falernum, cinnamon, peppercorn
- Festivus Flip — Angel’s Envy Rye, winter spice, cream, egg, soda
- Come Back, One Year! — Angel’s Envy, cream, spices, butter (served hot or cold)
- Not That There’s Anything Wrong With That — Angle’s Envy, tamarind, quince, white port, citrus, gremant
- The Beach — Angel’s Envy Rye, Averna, coconut, black walnut, salt
- The Jr. Mint — Angle’s Envy, chocolate, mint, genepy, coconut, milk
- No Soup For You — Featured cocktail of the day
Also new at the Angel’s Envy bar is a library of cask strength Angel’s Envy that dates back to 2013! Giddyup!